Painting: acrylic in A4 sketchbook.

Looking back at old sketchbooks, they were terrible. They were rushed and flat. No more than underpainting really. So now I’m trying to find how far I can go. In previous years, I’d work out an idea then swap to oil.

1 hour tonal underpaint.

I’m going to try a new colour in the next piece after this. In a YouTube video, the guy used similar colours to me but with cadmium green; a bright, almost hi-viz green. I tend to use cerulean blue for this role. Another idea is to get some glazing medium to finish with a sheen; that should bring out the colours better. Acrylic can dry looking rather soft and chalky.

2nd hour, colour underpaint.

This one will have loads of billowing hair after these layers have dried.

Finished.

Acrylic D3: boy

Another couple of hours while listening to Tom Yourke’s Sispiria.

Day 3, colour.

To think I nearly scrapped this two days ago. I went to bed frustrated and disheartened ready to cut the page out of the book in the morning. The next day ( day 2), I washed over it with burnt umber glazes as discussed in a previous post.
Today, with Tom Yorke CDs playing, I get to this stage. It looks better in the sketchbook than in this photo.

There is a lesson to tell the kids at school. They often abandon pictures in the first half feeling a frustration akin to my feelings the other day. I must urge them to persist and show them how to fix rather than scap unfinished artworks.

Acrylic D2: boy

2nd session,A4 sketchbook..

I should have taken a photo after the 1st session yesterday. Problem was it was so fragmented that I was all set on scrapping the picture by bedtime. In the morning, various solutions were floating in my mind. Maybe layer up tissue paper and paint over that; prime the page with gesso; wash over with burnt umber.

I did the latter while looking at the photo without glasses. It will look better with some skin tones and hair, I hope.